Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon green chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl until well blended.
- Spoon mixture onto a 6-inch square of aluminum foil and fold to make airtight.
- Label as Sloppy Joe Seasoning Mix.
- Store in a cool, dry place and use within 6 months.
- Makes 1 package (about 3 T) of mix.
- Sloppy Joes: Brown 1 lb lean ground beef in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Drain excess grease.
- Add seasoning mix, 1/2 cup water, 1 (8 oz) can of tomato sauce and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over toasted hamburger buns.
Pretty good, will definitely be making this again! I will increase the pepper flakes next time though, it needs some more heat. :-)
Thnx for saving the day, Iowahorse. Needed some mix for Recipe #388527. Did sub fresh garlic and did not have green chili pepper flakes so used some green Tabasco. Worked out well. A salad on the side, and it didn't need anything else. Thnx for posting your recipe.
This is the best of all these homemade spice packets. My friends and family won't eat the package mix anymore. GREAT JOB !