Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 min
I got this from Paula Deen's mag.
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 3 (15 ounce) packages pie crusts
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- In a large skillet, combine ground chuck, onion, and bell pepper. Cook over high heat until mixture is browned and crumbly; drain.
- Return meat mixture to pan, stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic salt, sugar, and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and cool slightly. On a lightly floured surface, unroll pie crusts.
- Using a 5-inch round cutter, cut 5 circles from each crust, re-rolling dough as necessary. Spoon 2 tbsp meat mixture into center of each round, sprinkle with 1 1/2 tsp cheese; lightly brush edges of pie crust with beaten egg yolk.
- Fold dough over to enclose filling, crimping edges to seal. Place pies on prepared baking sheets; bake 20 minutes. Serve immediately.