Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have butchered the original recipe to accomodate my dietary requirements. Feel free to modify the seasonings according to your taste.
- 1 lb ground round
- 1 tablespoon sodium-free margarine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (Angostura brand is low in sodium)
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce or 3 tablespoons Hunt's no-salt ketchup with chili powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 dash Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- METHOD#1: Brown ground meat in margarine with remaining ingredients.
- After browning ingredients, simmer for 1 hour.
- Ground turkey can be substituted for beef.
- METHOD#2: Mix all ingredients in crock-pot and cook on low until meat is brown and vegetables are tender.
- Serve on hamburger rolls or biscuits.
Thanks for the great recipe. I used Laura Dean's lean ground beef (4% fat) and it worked very well. I too used brown sugar. I didn't have any of the Mrs. Dash, so I added some garlic and salt. I also added some Knorr tomato bouillon. I haven't been a real fan of homemade sloppy joes (or the canned stuff either), but this recipe definately changed my mind. Going in my own cookbook.
Just finished it but used Brown sugar, sodium everything and no onion (the mustard was onion mustard...) and I added some extra salt. Was fantastic!
great recipe.I used brown sugar and omitted the onions.I didnt have the sodium free margarine,but they were still great tasting.Everyone enjoyed.THANKS