Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe comes from Paula Deen's Magazine. I added green pepper to her recipe and I also put these meatballs in my crockpot after baking them instead of back in the oven.
- 1 lb ground beef (chuck)
- 1 lb ground sausage (Jimmy Dean)
- 1 small onion, diced up
- 1⁄2 green pepper, diced up
- 1 1⁄2 cups panko breadcrumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 (1 1/3 ounce) packet Manwich sloppy joe mix
- 1 large egg
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 -4 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400'
- Lightly grease a foil lined baking sheet or use a lightly greased cooking rack inside a rimmed baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the two meats (beef and sausage),onion, green pepper,panko breadcrumbs,and Sloppy Joe mix.
- Stir in egg.
- Shape mixture into 1 inch balls and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until done.
- If baking in oven with sauce,reduce oven temp to 350'
- In a small bowl combine ketchup,tomato sauce, brown sugar,worcestershire sauce, mustard, and salt and black pepper.
- In a 13x9 baking dish (lightly greased) add meatballs. Pour the sauce over meatballs and toss gently.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes more.
- Serve hot.
- NOTE: If using crockpot, add baked meatballs to crockpot and pour sauce over top and gently toss to cover meatballs. Let simmer on low for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
These were incredibly good BUT full of fat. There was so much grease when I was spooning the meatballs and sauce onto my sons plate I was almost embarrassed. I am going to try these again but with ground turkey (thighs not breast). If you are OK with the amount of fat, try 'em. They were fabulous!!!