Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Sloppy Joe Mac and Cheese offers all the heart-warming comfort of your two favorite dishes combined into one fantastic meal.
- 1 (16 ounce) box elbow macaroni
- 3⁄4 lb lean ground turkey
- 1⁄2 cup celery, minced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (1 1/3 ounce) envelope Manwich sloppy joe mix
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces Velveeta reduced fat cheese product, cubed
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded divided
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the turkey, celery and carrot over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, water and sloppy joe mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain macaroni; set aside. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, mustard, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the process cheese until melted. Add macaroni and 1 cup cheddar cheese; mix well.
- Spread two-thirds of the macaroni mixture in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread turkey mixture to within 2 inches of edges. Spoon remaining macaroni mixture around edges of pan.
- Cover and bake at 375 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese. Cover and let stand until cheese is melted.