Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I had a craving for sloppy joes, but I didn't want to deal with my kids making a mess by doing this sandwich style. A no mess casserole.
For the Meat mixture
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) package Manwich sloppy joe mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 6 ounces tomato paste
For the cornbread
- 1 (8 ounce) box cornbread mix
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can creamed corn
- 8 ounces monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend, shredded
- Brown beef with onion, and garlic make sauce according to package directions (adding tomato paste and water); mix into beef.
- Mix cornbread mix, eggs, butter, salt, and canned corns.
- Pour corn bread mixture into prepared 9X13 inch casserole.
- Top with meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350°F until done, 45 minutes, until bread at the edges begin to brown.
Sorry to say it but my husband who loves sloppy joes, my son who will eat anything and my 1 year old, all took a couple of bites and refused to eat it. Couldn't figure out why since they like sloppy joes and corn bread. It may have been that the cornbread is not the traditional heavy, crumbly type. I have had success using Pillsbury Corn Sticks baked on top of sloppy joes and I think I will stick with that