Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Sloppy Joes the way we like them!!
Make and share this Sloppy Joe recipe from Food.com.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onion and garlic; drain off liquids.
- Stir in the mustard, ketchup, bbq sauce, and brown sugar; mix thoroughly.
- Season with salt, pepper & cayenne pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve on buns and top with shredded cheese.
My family had a tast testing event. All of us chose this as our first choice. It had the most full flavored, good body, best taste. I had cut the brown sugar to 1/3, because we don't like a sweet sloppy joe, but otherwise followed the recipe. We all liked the background kick from the cayenne pepper which provided a little surprise! but was not too intense.
I was looking for a sloppy joe recipe with less sodium to replace my favorite sloppy joe recipe. This one had less sodium than any I could find so I tried it. The sloppy joes turned out great and I will continue to use this recipe. The only thing I did differently was to add a couple TBS. of chopped green pepper and did not use cheese because that would add more sodium. I'll be freezing the leftovers. Thanks for posting. You have a winner here.
The kids gave this 5 stars. For me it was a three start meal but I couldn't add any heat because my children never would have eaten it. It was very easy to prepare and since all the kids enjoyed it I will make it again. Maybe I'll throw some hot pepper flakes on mine next time.