Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a vegan version of Sloppy Joe's from the cookbook La Dolce Vegan by Sara Kramer. Quick and simple and tastes fantastic! L picked this recipe totally at random, and I am SO glad she did! I substituted 1 TBSP tamari and 1 TBSP of Bragg's Liquid Aminos for the Vegan Worcestershire sauce. The original simmering time for the recipe is listed below, I probably simmered mine closer to 25-30 minutes before the rice was tender.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 lb firm tofu, crumbled
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup basmati rice
- In a large saucepan, on a medium heat, saute the onions in oil until they're translucent.
- Add the green pepper and tofu and saute for 2-3 minutes
- Add the tomatoes, chilli, salt, pepper, mustard, syrup, Worcestershire sauce and rice.
- Cover and simmer for 15-20 mins/until rice is cooked. Stir to prevent sticking.
- Serve over toasted buns or bread.
I got great reviews from the gang at my house on this dish. I did add some corn to the dish and just eyeballed the amount of mustard and maple syrup. I left out the tofu as I was too lazy to crumble it up. I did find I needed to add a few splashes of water to get my rice to fully cook. This is an easy dish to put together and has great flavour. Thanks for the recipe.