Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I got this recipe from one of my good friends. My kids even like it!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3⁄4 large green pepper, seeded and diced
- 3⁄4 lb lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 lb hot Italian sausage
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 stalk celery, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (26 ounce) jargarlic & cheese chunky style spaghetti sauce
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil and saute onion and green pepper until tender.
- Stir in both meats and cook until no longer pink.
- As the meat cooks, break up the large pieces and stir to combine the meats.
- Drain fat from meat.
- Return meat to skillet.
- Add garlic and stir gently until you begin to smell the garlic cooking (about 2 minutes).
- Place meat in a 3-1/2 quart or larger crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Stir to blend ingredients.
- Cook on High for 1 hour then reduce to Low and cook for another 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve on slightly crusty buns along with a Caesar salad.
- Garnish with grated Mozzarella cheese.
This was excellent! I used frozen assorted color peppers I had and nixed the celery. It was very flavorful. I was concerned about using hot Italian sausage, but with the other ingredients it added great flavor, not heat. My husband declared it a keeper and he doesn't like regular Sloppy Joe.
This was fantastic. So much better than the canned stuff. The only thing I changed was to use 1.5 pounds of ground beef (don't care for sausage). This will be added to my dinner menu selection. Thanks!