1/1 Photo of Sloppy Giuseppes
Charlotte J's Note:
Italian style sloppy joes that I saw on Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello today. The CA chili powder is a sweet powder.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs pork sausage
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 3 tablespoons california chili powder
- 1 tablespoon new mexico chile powder
- gray salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- chicken broth or beef broth or water, for thinning sauce
- 6 large soft hamburger buns, split
- 1In a large bowl, mix together the sausage, fennel seed, chili powders, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- 2In a large skillet over medium heat cook the sausage mixture until browned.
- 3Remove it from the pan and set aside; drain off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the skillet.
- 4Return the SKILLET to medium heat and add the onions and garlic.
- 5Cook until the onions are soft, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- 6Add the red wine, then stir in the tomato paste, pureed tomatoes, and dried oregano.
- 7Bring the mixture to a boil and add the cooked sausage.
- 8Turn the heat down and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- 9Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- 10If mixture is too thick, thin it with a little broth or water.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sloppy Giuseppes
Serving Size: 1 (349 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 540.9
- Calories from Fat 299
- Total Fat 33.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 81.7 mg
- Sodium 1009.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 23.7 g