Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a sloppy Joe with a twist. Kind of like a sloppy cabbage roll! You'll truely enjoy the combination of flavours and will want to make this easy dish again and again.
- 2 lbs hamburger
- 1⁄2 white onion, chopped
- 2 cups raw cabbage (chopped into 1/2 inch strips)
- 8 ounces button mushrooms (sliced thick)
- 2 cans condensed tomato soup
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 slices bread, toasted (or buns)
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch parsley
- 1 pinch oregano
- Spread chopped cabbage onto bottom of 2 QT dish.
- Pour one can of soup on top of chopped cabbage.
- Brown hamburger, drain fat.
- Return to heat, add onions and mushrooms until mushrooms start to soften.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix in one can of soup with the meat mixture.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Pour meat mixture over cabbage (which is covered with other can of soup).
- Put shredded cheese on top of meat mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 for 1/2 Hour.
- The last 5 minutes of baking time, I put in on Broil, to brown the cheese.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, sprinkle with parsley and oregano.
- Serve on toasted bread, or toasted buns.
Oh my, this is soooo good! It's such a great combination of textures and flavors. The cabbage cooked up perfectly; it was tender yet still has a bit of crunch. Loved all the mushrooms, too! I don't like browned cheese, so I added the cheese during the last 20 minutes of baking. I served this over toasted buns. This would be good over mashed potatoes or noodles, and I'd even love it just by itself!! Thanx for sharing!