Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
I got these crazy, wonderful burgers from My Great Recipes card club collection many years ago. Don't even know if the club is still in existence or not. They were named "Smoky Surprise Burgers" originally. Because they're slippy and slide all over when you cook them my son dubbed them "Slippy Burgers" and that's what we've called them since. Thought it'd be nice to share the recipe now as July 4th. is coming and they're great for an outdoor get together. Add your favorite Tater Salad, Chips, pickles, etc. Anything goes well with these burgers and they're good served any time of the year. ENJOY!
- 1 3⁄4 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons smoky tomato barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 4 large hamburger buns, split in 1/2 and toasted
- Mix beef, salt and pepper.
- Divide mixture into quarters, then divide each quarter in 1/2.
- Pat each portion out on wax paper to about 4 1/2" in diameter Combine barbecue sauce, mayonnaise and mustard.
- Spread 4 of the patties with this mixture, dividing evenly among patties.
- Top each of the sauced patties with a slice of Cheddar and a slice of Swiss.
- Cover filled patties with remaining patties-pinch edges to seal.
- Press out any air bubbles.
- Make sure cheese is sealed inside.
- Refrigerate, to grill later or can grill immediately.
- Can be grilled indoors or outdoors, or broiled in conventional stove.
- If broiled, place patties about 6" from heat source and broil approximately 6 to 8 minutes per side.
- If grilled, cook to desired doneness, approximately 8 to 10 minutes per side.
- Place on hamburger buns and serve and enjoy!
Just when I think I have tried all the great burgers along came "Slippy Burger" Very, Very good burger. Use the full 7oz of ground beef and diffinately lean (as the recipe says). Make sure you seal them well to keep the sauce & cheese inside I pan fried the burgers and put a lid over them after browning one side turned the heat down and cooked them for about 15 minutes all told.. I served them with lettuce tomato and pan fried portobello mushrooms. The recipe may sound like "well what's different?" Well trust me it is great flavor combination Thanks Laudee C
Lots of flaver, Great burgers! Thank you! I made them in the oven 350* For 20 min. Turn over patties once.
Great Burger! Moist, Juicy and Tasty! I made them exactly as written although I did shred my cheeses since they are in blocks. The buns are Bread Maker Hamburger Buns Recipe #89932. Thank you for a great recipe!