Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Another Free recipe for an Original Day on the slimming world Eating Plan. This is a family friendly dish which would be delicious served with some steamed vegetables from the free food list. I am going to try making this with quorn fillets added towards the end of cooking to make this free on a green day so I can have it with rice or cous cous. As with all slimming world recipes the stock is made using chicken or beef bovril.
- 6 chicken breasts, large
- 14 ounces tomatoes, tinned
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 shallots
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 courgettes
- 7 ounces mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs
- 1 tablespoon artificial sweetener
- 23 fluid ounces chicken stock
- basil, fresh
- Preheat oven to gas 6, 200oC. Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and place in a medium casserole dish with the tinned tomatoes.
- Add the garlic to the chicken mixture. Halve and peel the shallots, deseed the peppers and cut into bite sized pieces and add to the casserole dish.
- Thickly slice the courgettes and mushrooms and add to the dish along with the dried herbs, sweetener and chicken stock. Place over a high heat and bring to the boil. Cover very tightly and place in the oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven, season well and stir in fresh basil leaves before serving.
This is very tasty. I just started SW a few weeks ago and I've tried several recipes but this has been the most successful thus far. My non-fat-fighting husband loved it, too, and ate up all my leftovers last night! (drat) I used some rosemary and a little bit of oregano for my herbs, and did put the fresh basil leaves in at serving. I completely forgot to put in the sweetener, though it was still YUMMY! Thanks so much, Frugal Fifer!