Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Inspired by kittencals famous tomato sauce with a couple of adaptations to suit my diet, laziness, and what was in my cupboard at the end of the month. Turned out really really good, also in my neck of the woods we don’t have crushed tomatoes, serve with anything you want I bet this would be nice on pizzas as well this makes a lot of sauce, depending on how saucy you like your pasta I divided mine into 4 portions before freezing. Kittencals expertise sure pays off re leaving the sauce to ripen, I left min for 2 days for her original recipe see link, http://www.recipezaar.com/Kittencals-Authentic-Italian-Pasta-Sauce-Oamc-Option-71273 cant wait to try this with her meat balls, Due to the wine, tomato paste and sugar I reckon this would be about 4 syns per serving but don’t quote me, you could leave the wine out to help lower the syn value. Big big thanks to kittencal I’ll never go back to shop bought again! I know the power of everyone’s slow cooker is different I believe mine is quite powerful so use your judgement re cooking times
- 3 red onions (finely chopped)
- 7 large garlic cloves (Minced)
- low-fat cooking spray
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano (both basil and oregano rubbed with fingers to release the oil)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 6 ounces tomato paste (a small can)
- 1⁄3 cup red wine
- 2 (400 g) cans plum tomatoes (broken up a bit with a knife)
- 2 (400 g) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Coat bottom of a large frying pan with low fat cooking spray and fry the onion with the basil, oregano, bay leaf, salt and pepper for about 5-7 minutes until translucent
- Add the garlic and cooked for about 2 mins, then add the tomato paste and stir until well mixed in with the onion.
- Add the wine and combine add all of the tins of tomatoes breaking up the plum ones a bit, and the sugar bring to a light boil for about 8 minutes.
- Transfer this hot mixture into your slow cooker and cook on high for about 2 hours, (I popped out during this time) reduce it down to low for a further 3 hours (it was about 7.30 pm when I started this step so I was making dinner and watching boosh) and turn down to warm and leave 7 hours ( I was in bed during this time).
- When time is finished allow to cool and then divide into portions and place in the fridge for up to 4 days to allow the flavours to ripen. Divide into portions transfer to the freezer for keeping or use immediately.