Recipe by RBM
Why harden your arteries with mounds of sausage when you could make a lighter, healthier alternative? This turns out fantastic and is a lot easier on the waistline than the traditional favourite.
Top Review by ksduffster
This is the first time I have tried a bread-based breakfast casserole. DBF gobbled this up, but I didn't really care for it. I think it may have been the texture, possibly something to do with the bread soaking for 8 hours. I think for next time I will either toast the bread or not let it sit overnight. Or both. I really liked the addition of crab to the dish though. That is a very good change from ham/bacon/sausage all the time. DBF loved this though, so I expect to be making it in the future.
- 8 slices multigrain bread, crusts removed and cubed
- 1 cup grated low-fat cheese (the sharper the better)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 8 eggs (omega 3)
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces crab, chopped (artificial is fine)
- 1 cup corn flakes or 1 cup muesli
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- In a greased 9x13 pan, toss bread cubes with cheese.
- Top with onion and peppers.
- In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, milk, mustard powder, salt and worcestershire sauce.
- Pour egg mixture over bread and cheese.
- Top with chopped crab (you could substitute lean ham as well).
- Let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 400°F Sprinkle the cereal overtop the casserole, and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake for 55 minutes (or until set).