Recipe by Lainey39
This is a lightened version of chocolate cream pie. Recipe is from Woman's Day. Prep time does not include chilling time for finished pie.
Top Review by Annacia
I haven't had real pie (with a crust) in years and when I came across this trimmed version of a rich cream pie I just had to try it. It delivers a deep dark chocolate gratification with all of that regret that we get when we really splurge on a full fat and sugar indulgence. Not only is the fat cut way back but I used Splenda for the sugar and it worked perfectly. Some Cool Whip Light and a light sprinkle of chocolate jimmies to top it off were plenty of "extras". I'm feeling very virtuous (and pleased) right now. The recipe is a snap to follow and I even took a short cut but melting the 2 oz's of chocolate in the heating milk in the first step. The crust was ready to pack into the pan in less than a min. Thank you Lainey, thank you! Made for Photo Tag.
- 10 whole chocolate graham crackers
- 2 tablespoons light butter, cold
- 1 tablespoon egg white, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 1⁄2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 teaspoons light butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
- chocolate curls (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Crust: Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a 9 inch pie pan or plate with nonstick spray.
- Process graham crackers in food processor until finely ground.
- Add butter; pulse until coarse crumbs form.
- Add egg white, pulse until evenly moistened.
- Press crumb mixture evenly and firmly over bottom and sides of prepared pan.
- Bake 8 minutes; cool on wire rack.
- For filling, in bowl, whisk cocoa powder and cornstarch; whisk in 1 1/2 cups of the half and half.
- In saucepan, heat remaining 1 cup half and half and the sugar over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Whisk in cocoa mixture and melted chocolate.
- Cook, stirring, until filling begins to bubble; continue to cook, whisking, until very thick, about 2 minutes longer.
- Off heat, whisk in butter and vanilla.
- Spread filling in crust.
- Place plastic wrap onto suface of filling; refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- To serve, remove plastic wrap; spread whipped topping over filling.