Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I came up with this recipe one night when my bf wanted sloppy joes. We had a surplus of jalapenos from the garden, so I decided to spice them up. This was the final result and he claims it is "unparalleled." Feel free to down the spice by using mild or medium salsa or omitting the jalapeno.
- In a large skillet, cook turkey, onion, green pepper, and jalapenos until turkey is done.
- Meanwhile, combine ketchup, salsa, salt, sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Cook on low for about fifteen minutes.
- Drain turkey (if needed).
- Add sauce and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Serve with Mexican blend cheese and sour cream if desired.
Great twist on a sloppy joe! It did have that traditional taste of a sloppy joe with a kick! I used lean ground turkey breast and splenda instead of sugar. I didn't cook the sauce ingredients ahead, just added them to the turkey and simmered it all for the full 60 minutes. Served this open-faced, topped with sour cream, lettuce and tomato and loved it - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for Spring PAC 2010