Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are great just as they are, or make a great muffin base, for add ins.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup sugar (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in the center of mixture. Combine egg, milk, and oil; add liquid mixture into dry mixture, stirring just until moistened. Spoon into greased muffin pans, filling 2/3 full. bake at 400F for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove muffins from pan immediately.
- Apple Muffins: Stir in 3/4 cup peeled, chopped apple, 1/4 tesp. cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.
- Blueberry Muffins: Fold 3/4 cup fresh blueberries ( or 1/2 cup canned, drained blueberries).
- Cranberry Muffins: Fold 3/4 cup fresh cranberries.
- Date-Nut Muffins: Fold 1/2 cup chopped dates and 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
- Jam Muffins: Fill muffin pans one third full, top with 1/2 teaspoon jam or preserves, and spoon remaining batter on top.
- Oat Muffins: Reduce flour by 1/2 cup and stir 1/2 cup quick cooking oats.
- Pecan Muffins: Stir 1/2 cup chopped pecans into ingredients.
My mom made the jam variation when I visited her last week with the family, my kids loved them! She makes a tomatillo jelly that tasted incredible in this mix, I "borrowed" a jar and copied the recipe so I can make more myself. I'm looking forward to trying some of the other variations, too. Thanks for posting! I was going to add this recipe, but found yours first :)