Recipe by Morrison
Just as the title describes, this is a slightly spicy chicken soup that uses a little cayenne pepper and a little Tabasco with the other seasonings. This recipe can easily be scaled down, but I cook for a lot of people in my house, so I make the full recipe. Enjoy!
- 6 quarts water
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 6 chicken bouillon cubes (1 tsp each)
- 8 -9 ounces chicken gravy mix (approx 6 packets)
- 5 -6 red potatoes, washed and thinly sliced
- 8 ounces small shell pasta, uncooked (or wide egg noodles)
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 3 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt or 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- 10 -12 drops Tabasco sauce (adjust to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a very large (7-8 qt) stock pot add water and bouillon cubes and bring to a boil.
- While water is coming to temperature, add onions and chicken to a hot frying pan with the olive oil, cooking until chicken is no longer pink on the outside and onions are translucent.
- When water comes to a rapid boil, reduce heat and add all ingredients including the cooked chicken and onions. Stir ingredients thoroughly.
- When all ingredients have been added to pot, cover and simmer on medium-low for 45-50 minutes or until potatoes are tender enough to be cut with a spoon.
- This recipe can easily translate to a crockpot also. Add the noodles in the last hour if cooking on low, or the last 1/2 hour if cooking on high.