1/1 Photo of Slightly Better-For-You Cinnamon Rolls
2 hrs 40 mins
Susiecat too's Note:
Based on a recipe from Bon Appetit magazine, but changed just slightly to include a few lower-fat options and a bit of whole grains. Still retains all its yummy-gooeyness, though.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 teaspoons fast rise yeast (instant, equal to 2 envelopes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, for coating bowl
- 1For the dough: combine milk and butter in a pyrex-type measuring cup, microwave on high about 1 minute until butter is melted and milk is warm. Mix in yogurt until smooth.
- 2Pour into mixing bowl, add cup of whole wheat pastry flour, sugar, egg, yeast and salt. Mix well for about 2-3 minutes.
- 3Add remaining (white) flour a bit at a time and mix until combined and sticky.
- 4Turn out to a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-10 minutes.
- 5Place oil in bowl and coat sides, add dough and turn around to coat all sides of dough.
- 6Cover and leave in a warm place to rise, about 90 minutes, until doubled.
- 7Prepare the filling: mix sugar and cinnamon together well until it resembles sand.
- 8Coat a 9 x 13 baking pan with nonstick spray.
- 9When dough has risen, punch down and roll on a floured surface to a large rectangle, about the size of a cookie sheet (15 x 10).
- 10Use a pastry brush to spread melted butter over dough, leaving about 1/2 inch margin around sides.
- 11Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture over melted butter.
- 12Starting at a long side of the dough, gently roll dough up into a log shape. Pinch the seam closed.
- 13Cut about 3/4 inch slices, place each on cut sides in 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- 14Set aside, covered, in a warm spot to rise again, about 45 minutes.
- 15Alternatively, you may let them rise overnight in the refrigerator. Cover well with plastic wrap or lid. In the morning, take out of refrigerator, and set in a warm spot for 35-40 minutes to come to room temperature and finish rising.
- 16Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 17Bake for 20 minutes, until golden, on a center rack in the oven. Remove from oven and immediately invert to cooling rack, let cool for 10 minutes. Place right side up on serving dish.
- 18For the glaze: combine room-temperature cream cheese and butter in a mixer on medium speed, scraping down sides as necessary. Add in powdered sugar at lowest speed until coarsely combined, then increase speed to medium. Add vanilla and milk, continue mixing until smooth, scraping sides of bowl to combine thoroughly.
- 19Spread glaze onto warm rolls, serve immediately!
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slightly Better-For-You Cinnamon Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (61 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 381.8
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 43.6 mg
- Sodium 282.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 33.0 g
- Protein 7.9 g