Recipe by Dave C
Sounds wonderful? It is.Grilled potato wedges make a terrific side.
Top Review by Sackville
Great steak! Loved both the seasoning on the outside of the meat and the corn salsa. In fact, I think the corn salsa would make a nice vegetable side dish to a lot of meals. I overdid the steak slightly because I didn't look at the weight of the meat properly compared with what the recipe calls for (mine was smaller) but otherwise it was perfect.
- 3 cups fresh corn (about 3 ears)
- 4 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced separately
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 plum tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 -2 fresh jalapeno chile, , finely diced (, including seeds)
- 1 (2 lb) trimmed boneless sirloin steaks, about 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Accompaniment: lime wedges.
- Prepare grill for cooking.
- Make corn salsa: Heat a dry large cast-iron skillet over moderately high heat until hot, then pan-roast corn, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 8-10 minutes .
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Cook white part of scallions in butter with garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon each cumin and chili powder, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until scallions are tender, 3-4 minutes .
- Remove from heat and stir in corn, tomatoes, and jalapeños.
- Grill steak: Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and sprinkle on both sides of steak.
- Grill, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into thickest part of meat registers 130°F, 18-20 minutes total for medium-rare.
- Transfer steak to a grooved cutting board and let stand 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- While steak is standing, reheat corn mixture over moderate heat, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cilantro and scallion greens.
- Spoon corn on top of sliced steak and pour over any accumulated juices.