1/2 Photos of Sliced, Spiced and Iced Refrigerator Sweet Dill Pickles
168 hrs 15 mins
Feeling a little lazy and not wanting to can, I was looking for a good recipe for chilled dill pickles, but couldn't quite find the exact recipe I wanted so I have adapted a recipe from Group Recipes and Epicurious to fit my needs. It's slightly sweet with the lovely taste of dill. I hope this fits your needs too! :) Cooking time is marinating time. Thank you for the inspiration coconutlime and Amelia Saltsman!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs small pickling cucumbers, sliced 1/4-1/2-inch thick (or regular cucumbers-may cut into spears also)
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh dill (optional)
- 2 cups cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dill seed
- 2 cups white distilled vinegar
- 1 cup sugar (or 1 1/2 cups depending on sweetness you desire)
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less depending on heat level you desire)
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn (optional)
- 1Evenly divide the garlic, fresh dill and sliced cucumbers among four wide mouthed pint jars.
- 2Before adding the mustard seed, red pepper flakes, peppercorns(if using) and dill seed, crush them slightly. You can use your hands, a mortar and pestle, or give then one quick whiz in the food processor(optional).
- 3In a saucepan, mix together vinegar, water, sugar, red pepper flakes, celery seed, salt, mustard seed and dill seed. Heat to just dissolve sugar, then remove and let cool. Use a funnel to fill each jar with the cooled brining liquid. The spices may float to the bottom, so use a spoon to evenly divide anything that is leftover into the jars. Cap tightly and refrigerate at least one week before eating. Enjoy!
- 4It was suggested you do this over a large bowl. The cucumbers start to float and displace liquid. Add the overflow back into the brining mixture before you fill up the next jar. No mess! :).
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sliced, Spiced and Iced Refrigerator Sweet Dill Pickles
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 65.0
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1310.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 0.5 g