Recipe by BrendaM
A traditional Scottish favourite
Top Review by surreycook
Thanks Brenda, I meant to review this & was surprised to see I haven't. My dear Dad was craving Lorne sausages in a bad way, our family left Scotland in 1957 so except for visits back he had not had his "lovely Lorne's" . Now that Dad was in his 80's and in poor health a trip "back home" was out of the question. So I reluctantly tried your recipe, sure that the wouldn't taste right to Dad. He LOVED them., and said they were just like the ones he remembered. I made them for him until he passed away. Thanks for making us both happy & it give me much joy to remember him tucking into his meal, stopping to say to me "och darlin' you've done a grand job on these sausages, they're rare"
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 3 cups fine breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 3 teaspoons coriander
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- **The beef and pork should not be too lean or the sausage may be too dry.
- Mix really well by hand then place in an oblong pan about 10" x 4" x 3".
- You might need two pans.
- Place in the freezer for a little while till it's just starting to set.
- Remove it and cut them to the thicknes you like and put them into freezer bags and put them back in the freezer.
- When required, defrost and fry in a little fat or oil until brown and cooked through.