Recipe by Ppaperdoll
This is a recipe from Mollie Katzen that was printed in the Minneapolis Star and Tribune's taste section in August, 2005. I haven't made it yet, but think it would be fantastic on a summer buffet table. You can use any fruit you like that's in season. I'm going to try it with an assorted melon platter.
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds or 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 2⁄3 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 -3 tablespoon mayonnaise, to taste (can be left out)
- 1 teaspoon raspberry vinegar or 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 -2 tablespoon light honey
- 3 -4 lbs fresh fruit
- mint or watercress, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast poppy, sunflower, sesame, mustard, cumin or fennel, and celery seeds in heavy skillet over low heat stirring occasionally but watching constantly (can burn easily, be careful!) When they smell toasty and yummy, remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Transfer cooled seeds to a blender or spice grinder and pulse to a mealy consistency. Transfer to a medium sized bowl.
- To spice mixture, add pineapple juice, yogurt, mayonnaise (if desired), vinegar, and honey. Whisk together until well blended, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, transfer dressing to a serving jug and place next to prepared fruit platter.