Recipe by Kzim4
This recipe originally came from one of my mom's Chinese cookbooks, but I've modified it to suit my tastes. I don't like broccoli in many things, but in this, I love it!
- 1 lb broccoli
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth or 2 tablespoons water
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup water, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1 (8 ounce) cansliced bamboo shoots, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim the broccoli stalks and peel them.
- Slice off the florettes, and cut them into bite size pieces.
- Roll cut the peeled stalks into small pieces.
- (you should end up with approz. 4 cups cut broccoli) Set aside.
- Slice chicken breasts into 1/4 inch wide slices.
- Place in bowl with chicken broth, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and stir together.
- Mix remaining 2 teaspoons cornstarch and 1/2 teaspoon salt with 1/2 cup cold water.
- Set aside.
- Pour 1 tablespoon oil into wok or large skillet and place over high heat.
- When oil is hot, add broccoli and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup water, reduce heat to medium, and cover the pan.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for approximately 2 to 3 minutes, or until broccoli turns dark green and is tender-crisp.
- Pour onto shallow platter and set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in same pan over high heat.
- When oil is hot, add garlic and stir for about 30 seconds.
- With a spoon, stir up chicken in bowl again, and dump into pan with garlic.
- Stir briskly for 3-4 minutes, or until chicken has turned white.
- Add bamboo shoots and cooked broccoli, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the cornstarch mixture and continue stirring until the greavy has thickened slightly.
- Remove from heat and discard garlic, if desired.
- Serve hot.
- (I serve it over rice).