Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 mins
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 small fresh red chilies or 1 small fresh green chile (like serrano or cayenne)
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh gingerroot
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (approx 1 1/4 pounds total)
- 1 small red onion
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch cayenne
- minced chili (including seeds for a spicier paste)
- Stir together with garlic paste and remaining spice paste ingredients in a bowl.
- Cut 3 diagonal cuts about 1/4 inch deep in each chicken breast.
- Rub spice paste into cuts and all over chicken.
- Marinate chicken, covered, 30 minutes at cool room temperature.
- Preheat broiler and line broiler pan with foil.
- Cut onion in half through root end and reserve 1 half for sauce.
- Slice remaining onion half in thin slices, separating layers.
- While broiling chicken, soak onion slices in ice water in small bowl.
- Arrange chicken leaving plenty of room between each piece on broiler pan.
- Coat chicken with 1 teaspoon vegetable oil and broil about 3 inches from heat 8 minutes.
- Turn chicken over and brush with remaining teaspoon vegetable oil.
- Broil chicken about 6 minutes or until lightly browned and no longer pink in the center.
- Prepare sauce while chicken is broiling: Mince enough reserved onion to measure 1 tablespoon and stir all sauce ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Drain soaked onion and pat dry between paper towels.
- Top chicken with onion slices and serve with yogurt sauce.