Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very pretty side dish and great to serve with turkey. This is one of those recipes that you kind of just eye-ball til it looks right, so judge according to carrot and apple sizes.
- 6 -7 cooking apples, peeled,cored and thinly sliced
- 4 cups sliced cooked carrots (I cook in microwave until almost done)
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups orange juice
- Place ½ of apples in greased 13x9 baking dish.
- Cover with ½ of carrots.
- Mix flour, sugar and salt to taste together.
- Sprinkle ½ over carrot layer.
- Repeat layers again.
- Pour orange juice over top.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Cool slightly and serve warm.
What a great recipe. Couldn't be easier and it's delicious. This is definitely going on my holiday menu soon. I would like to play with some seasonings just to spark the flavor up a bit. Maybe some onion, garlic, fresh ginger and nutmeg? The only substitution I made was to use apple juice rather than orange. After baking this as directed I pulled it from the oven and was quite disappointed. I stirred it up, put it back into the oven, raised the temp to 450° and baked another 25 minutes; total baking time 1 hour. The sauce was creamy and glistening and the apples had softened to become quite tender. Perfect.