Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
In New York City’s Chinatown restaurants, you can order dishes of fish, meat or other foods on/over white rice and a meal for one person. However, this recipe will serve two or more… This sliced beef with black beans, Chinese broccoli and with white rice is “My take” on this easy-to-make and tasty beef dish.
- 3⁄4 lb flank steak (or London Broil)
- 1 1⁄2 cups of chinese broccoli (Substitute American broccoli)
- 5 -6 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons chinese preserved black beans (dried salted black beans)
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch (or more as needed)
- 3 tablespoons stock (extra as needed)
- 4 tablespoons rice wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- salt and white pepper (to taste)
- 1. PREPARATION.
- 2. Slice the meat at an angle and into thin bite size pieces, then add to a bowl.
- 3. Add to the meat bowl, 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, dark soy sauce, 1 tablespoon rice wine, sugar, 2 teaspoons cornstarch, salt & pepper to taste, mix well and let sit for 20 minutes.
- 4. Remove and discard the leafy part of the Chinese broccoli, cut the stems at an angle and into bite side pieces (if the stems are very thick cut lengthwise), set a side.
- 5. In a cup add the dried salted black beans, rinse briefly and discard the water, add 2 tablespoons (or more) rice wine to cover, let sit for 20 minutes.
- 6. Grate the ginger and add to the black bean cup.
- 7. In a cup add 3 tablespoons stock, 1 tablespoons light soy sauce and 2 teaspoons cornstarch, stir to create a watery mixture, set aside.
- 8. COOKING DIRECTIONS.
- 9. Bring a small pot of water to a boil, add 1/8 teaspoon salt (and or a little oil) and then add the cut up broccoli and par-boil for about 1 minute, drain and set aside.
- 10. In a wok (or Teflon pan) add 1 tablespoon peanut oil, then add the par-boiled broccoli and cook stir for 1 minute, then add 1 tablespoon rice wine and continue to stir-fry for 1 more minute, then remove and set aside.
- 11. In a wok (or Teflon pan) add about 2 tablespoons of peanut oil and heat to moderate hot (not to the point of smoking).
- 12. Next add the garlic and stir for 15-30 seconds, then add the meat and stir-fry for about 3 minutes, (making sure not to overcook the meat).
- 13. Add back the broccoli and stir-fry briefly, then add the stock & cornstarch mixture and stir to thicken (may need to add a little more stock and cornstarch mixture as needed), then add 1 teaspoon sesame oil and with one quick stir you are almost finished.
- 14. On a serving plate add some hot white rice and on top (or on the side) add meat and broccoli.
- 15. Enjoy.
- 16. NOTES:.
- 17. You can substitute Chinese green vegetables, string beans, or fried tofu for example…. And again you can also use American broccoli to your liking as well.
- 18. Increase the amount of meat, vegetables and ingredients if serving more then 2 people.
Yummy. I've never used salted black beans before and have been wanting to learn. Thank you.