Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
When I was young and asked my mom what she was making, her answer was "snake". These potatoes are sliced with the skin on layered with sliced onions and crumbled bacon and, to a young child was just moved to the desert, can appear to be a cut up snake. The name has stuck with it ever since.
- Fry bacon until crisp, remove from pan to drain but save drippings.
- Thinly slice washed potatoes, leaving skin on.
- Thinly slice onion.
- Crumble cooled bacon.
- Using the bacon drippings, grease a wide and flat (not deep) casserole or pan (such as a cake pan). (You can also use a large fry pan that can also be used in the oven to crisp bacon and add other ingredient to cut down on mess).
- Layer sliced potatoes, sliced onion and crumbled bacon into pan.
- Add dabs of butter or margarine and salt and pepper.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 45-60 minutes until tender.