Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
An easy way to give the bland potato a lot of new flavor ! The light coating of butter and cheese gives the potatoes a crisp outside. These are fun to make, and look delightful ! Oven baked, or microwave. Oven bake time: appx. 1 hour. Microwave bake time 16-20 minutes.
- Peel potatoes only if the skin is tough, otherwise, just scrub and rinse them.
- Cut potatoes vertically, into thin slices, but not all the way through. Lay a spoon next to the potato to prevent knife from cutting all the way through. (A wooden spoon works great.).
- Put potatoes in a baking dish. Fan them slightly.
- Sprinkle with salt, and drizzle with the melted butter. Sprinkle with herbs.
- Bake potatoes at 425 degrees for about 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake potatoes for another 10-15 minutes until lightly browned, cheeses are melted, and potatoes are soft inside. Check for doneness with a fork.
- To microwave: Prepare potatoes as above, and place in a microwave safe dish or pan.
- Sprinkle with melted butter and herbs.
- Microwave on High power for 10 minutes, rearranging the potatoes after 5 minutes if your microwave does not have an automatic turn table.
- Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Microwave for another 4-6 minutes on High power until cheeses are melted, and potatoes are soft.
- Sprinkle with salt, and serve.
- Note: You may substitute 2-3 teaspoons dried herbs of your choice for the fresh, if you prefer.
- After the potatoes are done, a little sour cream on top, sprinkled with bacon bits might be good.
I've been making these for years, and they are delicious. They are definately better in the oven than from the microwave. I always make extra because the left-overs are good too!
These are very good! Flavorful and the texture is great! I used chives and cheddar, and the baking option, and I love how different herbs would easily change these up depending on the menu. Thanks for sharing!
Wow! Made these last night and I did add some fresh garlic in between some of the slices and used fresh parsley, chives and added a little fresh thyme. Used the cheese you suggested and what a beautiful dish as well as delicious. Thank you! Served with Pan Fried Tilapia from Sandra Lee#399796, Kentucky Slaw#407195 and Pasta Salad Vinaigrette (Mccormick Style)#412169 (which we had leftover from lunch).