Recipe by Karen Anne Newton RN
An easy way to give the bland potato a lot of new flavor ! The light coating of butter and cheese gives the potatoes a crisp outside. These are fun to make, and look delightful ! Oven baked, or microwave. Oven bake time: appx. 1 hour. Microwave bake time 16-20 minutes.
Top Review by Starrynews
These are very good! Flavorful and the texture is great! I used chives and cheddar, and the baking option, and I love how different herbs would easily change these up depending on the menu. Thanks for sharing!
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, chives, thyme or 2 -3 tablespoons sage
- 4 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel potatoes only if the skin is tough, otherwise, just scrub and rinse them.
- Cut potatoes vertically, into thin slices, but not all the way through. Lay a spoon next to the potato to prevent knife from cutting all the way through. (A wooden spoon works great.).
- Put potatoes in a baking dish. Fan them slightly.
- Sprinkle with salt, and drizzle with the melted butter. Sprinkle with herbs.
- Bake potatoes at 425 degrees for about 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake potatoes for another 10-15 minutes until lightly browned, cheeses are melted, and potatoes are soft inside. Check for doneness with a fork.
- To microwave: Prepare potatoes as above, and place in a microwave safe dish or pan.
- Sprinkle with melted butter and herbs.
- Microwave on High power for 10 minutes, rearranging the potatoes after 5 minutes if your microwave does not have an automatic turn table.
- Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Microwave for another 4-6 minutes on High power until cheeses are melted, and potatoes are soft.
- Sprinkle with salt, and serve.
- Note: You may substitute 2-3 teaspoons dried herbs of your choice for the fresh, if you prefer.
- After the potatoes are done, a little sour cream on top, sprinkled with bacon bits might be good.