Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
"Edged in sweet sprinkles, these melt-in-your mouth cookies are pretty enough for a party" From taste of home. Chilling time not included.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup colored sprinkles
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a small mixing bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in lemon peel. Combine flour and cornstarch; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Shape into a 1 3/4 inches diameter roll; roll into non-pareils. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4 inch slices. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375 for 9-11 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine icing ingredients. Spread over cookies.
These are wonderful. I made them exactly as the recipe stated except I must have cut them a tiny bit thicker and got 24 cookies (which fit my cookie sheet perfectly). The texture of the cookie was superb and the amount of lemon just right.
Colorful, tender, lemony with just the right balance of tart and sweet -- these are party cookies. Consider making a double batch, though. Made for Favorites Game, Feb. 2009.
Great taste and lovely delicate texture. Very impressed with these cookies. I found them too sweet with the hundreds and thousands around the edge and left them off after the first batch. Another variation I found good was to sprinkle the cookies with caster suger before baking them rather than icing them. These are very popular with my kids