Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe comes from one of my all time favorite cookbooks, More Make a Mix Cookery by Karine Eliason, Nevada Harward and Madeline Westover. The recipes makes 4 "logs" that when baked yields 3 dozen wonderful cookies. These are great for gift giving and can be a real time saver around the holidays.
- 2 cups butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 2⁄3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 5 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Cut four 14 inch by 12 inch pieces of waxed paper and set aside. Cut four 14 inch x 12 inch pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugars; beat in vanilla and eggs until light and fluggy.
- In a large container mix together the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add the flour mixture into egg mixture until blended.
- Stir in chocolate chips and nuts; divide the mixture into 4 equal pieces, with lightly floured hands shape each into a 8 to 10 inch roll.
- Wrap each in sheets of waxed paper and then in a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Label and date each package, place in freezer. These will keep for 6 months in the freezer.
- To prepare the cookies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees, cut frozen dough into 1 inch thick slices and cut each slice in fourths.
- Arrange cut pieces on an ungreased cookie sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart; bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges.
- Allow to cool slightly on the cookie sheets then transfer to wire racks to finish cooling.
Very good, I am looking forward to using the "logs" I have in the freezer. I went ahead and baked up a roll tonight after letting it chill in the freezer for a couple hours. These are yummy. Thanks for posting!! Made for I Recommend Tag Game
I also was impressed being able to make and slice the log without destroying them. I haven't had luck trying this with another recipe. Of course I had to bake some and they were wonderful. Thanks for the great recipe that I will use again.
Paula - these are delicious cookies and it makes 4 perfect rolls. I baked one roll up today and have had the other 3 in the freezer for 3 days and it works so perfectly! I'm impressed as I thought it would break up but it didn't. The cookies are nice and crispy outside and chewy inside! I'm definitely making these often and sharing with my daughter - so much better than her buying the prepackaged stuff and for me easy to put some cookies in the oven when I don't have a lot of time! I omitted the nuts as a personal preference and just added some more chips instead. One roll gave me 36 cookies exactly! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! Made for 123 Hits :)