Prep 2 mins
Cook 35 mins
A hot milk drink for children. From The Art of Dutch Cooking. Posted for ZWT6.
- 1 pinch saffron
- 8 cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 mace blade
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Tie saffron, cloves, cinnamon and mace in a piece of cheesecloth.
- Place spice bundle and milk in a saucepan.
- Heat to just under the boiling point and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add sugar.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in a little water and add to milk mixture.
- Stir and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Press the spice bundle between two spoons, remove and serve.
This is sweet, spicy and cream, just what your mother ordered to encourage sweet dreams. I made as written. Thanks for the post.
I liked this - perfect for a cold afternoon, spicy and creamy. Made for ZWT 6 by Unrulies Under The Influence.
I am not sure if i did something wrong, i followed the directions but it just did not work for me but i could not find mace blade so i had to skip that. I will try to make it again as i thought it was a good looking recipe. Made for ZWT6