1/2 Photos of Sled-Dog Potatoes
Chef PotPie's Note:
There is so much butter in these to keep at least 10 huskies warm while sleeping in the snow. That must be the reason for the name! I made this for my easter dinner, I've had the recipe wedged in my recipe file since 1986! It was from a Seattle Times food writer, John Owens. He always had great recipes. After dinner this evening I was saying how much butter I could cut out of this recipe and my children enclosed me in their arms and said, "Mom, DO NOT change this recipe!!" So, okay, it's a heart attack waiting to happen, but heck, this is something I would serve once a year just to see these people make yummy arm gestures. You can change it if you want...but don't and just wallow in this amount of butter! My goodness! If not cooking for a crowd, halve this recipe and cook 30 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil potatoes in their skins till just tender and no more.
- 2Cool until not too warm to handle and remove skin by scraping off with paring knife.
- 3Slice thinly into a large casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray, (I use my lasagna dish, a 9X13 will not be big enough.)
- 4In a saucepan mix together 1 cup butter, the 2 cans of soup, 1 1/2 cups grated cheese, green onions and sour cream.
- 5Stir over low heat till melted and combined.
- 6Pour over potatoes in dish.
- 7Sprinkle remaining cheese over this mess.
- 8In small saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter and add cornflake crumbs.
- 9Sprinkle, (Spoon is more like it), over top of casserole.
- 10Bake 350 30-45 minutes till bubbly.
- 11(This is a very forgiving recipe when you have guests such as our son who you can't count on to arrive at the set time -- it was in the oven for a little over an hour and still they worshipped me) (;.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sled-Dog Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (357 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 580.8
- Calories from Fat 363
- Total Fat 40.4 g
- Saturated Fat 24.4 g
- Cholesterol 101.7 mg
- Sodium 663.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 11.9 g