Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
An easy coleslaw with a yummy mayonnaise dressing with an Asian twist. Adapted from Dave Lieberman's cookbook, "Young and Hungry".
- 2 (16 ounce) bags coleslaw mix (with carrots and red cabbage)
- 1 bunch scallion, trimmed, sliced thinly
- 1 small red onion, halved, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar (or white or rice vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper (recipe calls for 20 grinds!)
- Toss the coleslaw mix together with the scallions and red onion in a large bowl until everthing is well mixed. You can make the slaw up to this point up to a day in advance as long as you keep it refrigerated.
- When ready to serve, bring the slaw back to room temperature. Stir the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl until blended or shake together in a sealable plastic container.
- Taste for salt and add a couple pinches if needed. Pour over the slaw, toss well, and serve within 1 hour or it will get wilted.