Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A delicious pie from Cooking Light Magazine for all us chocolate lovers! Prep time does not include refrigeration time.
- 2 cups nonfat milk, divided
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 reduced fat graham cracker crust (6 inch)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 8 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- To prepare filling, combine 1/2 cup milk, 2/3 cup sugar, and next 4 ingredients (cocoa powder through egg) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Heat 1 1/2 cups milk in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat to 180 degrees F. or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil). Remove from heat. Gradually add hot milk to sugar mixture; stir constantly with a whisk. Return milk mixture to pan. Add chopped chocolate, cook over medium-heat until thick and bubbly (about 5 minutes), stir constantly. Reduce heat to low, cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour into crust; cover surface of filling with plastic wrap. Chill 3 hours or until cold.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. To prepare meringue, combine 1 cup sugar with water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 240 degrees F. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed of a mixer until foamy. Pour hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over egg white mixture; beat at high speed until stiff peaks form. Remove wrap from filling. Spread meringue evenly over filling; seal to edge of crust. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 15 minutes or until lightly browned, cool on a wire rack. Chill until set.