Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These truly are sky high!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup milk
- In bowl,combine dry ingredients.
- Cut in butter til mix resembles small peas.
- Add egg and milk,stirring quickly and briefly.
- Knead lightly on floured board.
- Roll or pat gently to 1 inch thickness.
- Cut into 1-2 inch biscuits.
- Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes .
I got this recipe from My Great Recipes many years ago, and I've made many different biscuit recipes. I always end up back with this recipe because they are so flaky and sky high. They are melt in your mouth delicious.
I've been using this recipe since the late 1970's. Being in the military, we all share our favorite recipes. This is, by far, the best biscuits you will ever make. Be sure to invest in a pastry cutter so you don't over work the mix. I made these 2 days ahead and froze them to serve at a work breakfast. I got rave reviews of these and the sausage gravy from over 30 people. You will never make baking soda hockey pucks again.
I followed the directions exactly. It was okay, but the ingredient list should probably say 3/4 cup butter instead of 3/4 teaspoon. DH thinks they taste really good as is though. Thanks for posting!