Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
I was in desperate need of a skunk smell remover after our dog Cooper was sprayed by a skunk eating birdseed one evening at our bird feeder. I found this recipe on another web site. We used it on him and I was quite surprised how well it worked. I am posting it here for safekeeping incase it happens again. Cooper did not like the cold shampoo mixture but at this point, he had no chose, it was either this or he sleeps in the garage.
- 1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
- 1⁄4 cup baking soda
- 2 tablespoons liquid dish soap
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, the mix will foam up quite a bit.
- Wash the dog with the foam while it is still foaming.
- The mixture also works for clothes, humans and unlucky cats.
- The mixture makes an oxygen type shampoo which reacts with the thiols in the skunk stink to neutralize the odor.
- You are not able to store the mixture. If the foam sits around, it loose its efficacy, the oxygen boils off, so use a fresh batch each time.
After my DGS used this solution on his skunky dog, he suggested I try it for getting the musty smell out of an old storage trunk. I halved the recipe and only used 1/2 tsp. dish soap. After applying it liberally throughout the inside of the trunk, I then wiped it out and left it open to dry. The musty smell is absolutely gone and I'm so happy. Thank you Yoster!
This really does work. It also work to get strong urine smell out of my rug. You might have to do it twice but it is a keeper.