Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a spicy garlic soup from Greece which typically is made during the winter months. Submitted for ZWT 6. If you don't care for too much garlic, only use 2 cloves :)
- 6 cups water
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 peppercorns, whole
- 6 1⁄8 ounces feta cheese
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 eggs, medium size
- salt, to taste
- 4 tablespoons arugula, chopped
- Place water, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, peppercorns in a large pot, bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon, press through a sieve and then pour it back into the pot, crumble in the feta cheese.
- Mix yoghurt with the flour until smooth, then slowly drizzle in one ladle of the soup, stirring constantly.
- Slowly pour the yoghurt mixture ito the soup, stirring constantly, then continue stirring at low heat for about ten minutes.
- Remove the soup from the stove.
- Beat the eggs until foamy, then slowly drizzle in 2 ladles of the soup, stirring contantly.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture into the soup, stirring constantly.
- Add salt to taste and serve with arugula and crisp bread.
This was a nice winter soup. I especially enjoyed the chewy fragments of feta. I also added a bulb of garlic, rather than 3 cloves (we LOOOVE garlic!) and I think next time I would roast them first. I was unable to locate arugula (poor herb selection at our grocery store), so had to leave it out, which makes me sad. I always try to stick to the recipe the first time. I served it with a loaf of fresh baked bread. Thanks for a very interesting soup, Mia. Made for PAC Fall 2012
We like this soup. It doesn't have an intense garlic flavour, but sweet and tart. I did change the garlic to a whole bulb and cooked it down very slowly in some oil then followed the recipe. Made for ZWT 6 for Unrulies Under The Influence.
I really liked the soup but DH didn't care for it. I didn't have arugula so I had to leave that out. Made for ZWT6.