Prep 15 mins
Cook 60 hrs
These are quite hard so be warned eat them with tea, milk or other beverages.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup sour milk or 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Cream sugar and shortening; add egg and sour milk and stir.
- Sift flour, salt, soda, and baking powder together.
- Add to first mixture.
- Add nuts, if desired.
- In a 9x13-inch pan, bake one hour at 350 degrees.
- Cut into 1 1/2 x 3-inch strips and dry in slow oven, 300 degrees, until crispy.