Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This sounds like a strange concoction but is wonderful if you are a garlic lover. I first had it at a restaurant in Lake Geneva, WI and had to find out how it was made. I also like this spread on French bread.
- 6 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1⁄2 cup mashed potatoes
- 7 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Soak the bread in water, then squeeze it to remove as much of the water as possible.
- Combine bread with the potatoes, garlic and nuts in food processor, running until it becomes a smooth paste.
- With the processor still running, add the olive oil in a thin stream. Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Serve with pita bread and/or raw vegetables for dipping.
This was a wonderful skordalia. i only used 1 tbs of olive oil and added a little fat free milk when i mashed the potato's. Scaled it down to two and had it with some bread as a snack.