Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A flavorful combination of red chile & cilantro in this Argentian chimichurri sauce. Skirt steak is popular in Argentina, if you can't find Skirt steak, you can substitute flat iron or flank steak. It is best to grill the steak to medium or medium rare. This comes from the Williams Sonoma Latin Cookbook. I am posting for ZWT 7; South America.It is said that in the mid 1800s, an Englishman and bon vivant, Jimmy Curry arrived in Argentina, He quickly fell in love with the aroma and taste of the roasted meats and set about to create a spicy accompaniment to show his appreciation for the tasty barbecue. He gathered spices such as chili pepper, sweet red pepper, tomatoes, onions and garlic, and combined them with rosemary, oregano, thyme and salt.The sauce caught on quickly, and today has become the traditional sauce of Argentina.
- 907.18-1360.77 g skirt steaks
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 118.29 ml cilantro (fresh,packed,coarsley chopped)
- 118.29 ml Italian parsley (fresh,packed,coarsley shopped)
- 29.58 ml green onions (diced)
- 9.85 ml lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 14.78 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 bay leaf (finely crumbled)
- 4.92-9.85 ml red chili pepper (serrano, seeded,coarsley chopped**green chiles can be substituted if red are not available)
- 118.29 ml olive oil
- In a food processor; combine cilantro,parsley,green onions,lime juice,garlic,vinegar, bay leaf,chile, 1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper; process until mixture is minced about 10 seconds,transfer to a bowl and add olive oil, let stand at room temp.for at least 1 hours.
- season steak with salt and pepper, place in a large resealable plastic bag, add about 1/3 cup of the chimichurri sauce from the processor, seal bag and refrigerate for a least 2 hours up to 4hrs.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Remove the steak from the refrigerator and let it come to room temp for 30 min., brush the excess chimichurri sauce off the steak and set the steak over the hot grill.
- Cook for 6 min., rotate 45 degrees and cook another 6 minute Turn the steak over and continue to cook until steak is medium rare (about 6-8 min.).
- When the steak is cooked, lay it on a clean cutting board and allow to rest for 5-7 min before slicing across the grain into 2" wide strips.
- Serve with reserved chimichurri sauce.
Hi BakinBaby! I found you on the tour....this is delicious, just like all your recipes! Really enjoyed the chimichurri sauce, and will enjoy using it with other dishes. I halved the recipe with no problem, and started my meat in the marinade when I came home from work at lunch. So that made this a great dish for a weeknight. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT.
This was a tasty way to prepare a cut a meat I rarely use. The marinating made this cut of meat very tender. Will be making this one again! Thanks for posting BakinBaby. Made for ZWT7.