Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I adapted this recipe from gourmet magazine. The original calls for cilantro, so feel free to use that instead. I am not a big meat eater, but i do love skirt steak!
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup basil
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 lbs skirt steaks, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- cooking spray
- make a paste of garlic and salt transfer to a blender and add olive oil, lemon juice, basil, cayenne and pepper, blend until smooth, set aside.
- mix cumin, salt and pepper and rub into both sides of skirt steak.
- spray a grill pan with cooking spray.
- add steaks, in 2 batches, and cook 2-5 minutes per side for medium rare.
- slice steaks thinly across the grain, serve with sauce.
Very good! I used basil and the only change I made was i/s/o cumin, salt and pepper on the steak - I used garlic powder, salt and white pepper. Thanks!
It's not very often we can get skirt steak, so i wanted a special recipe for it. This was special. Like Hey Jude, we used the cilantro (that's what we had) and it made a delicious sauce, which also made a delicious dressing for our salad and was pretty tasty with our potato wedges dipped in it too.
This is SO good. I followed the directions exactly but used cilantro in place of the basil, per chia's mention of it (and I had a huge bunch of cilantro to use up). Also, I cooked on my outside grill, rather than inside. Supposed to serve 6? My husband and I pigged out on it and were left with an 8 inch strip of skirt steak, which I'll use in a salad. Thanks chia, this easy, delicious recipe is going into our favorite file!