Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I don't believe that this recipe is regional at all - I believe it can be had just about anywhere in Scotland and even the very north of England
- Melt the fat or heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the onion and cook until soft and golden.
- Add the oatmeal and mix in well.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the stock and allow it to be absorbed by the oatmeal.
- Season well and serve with light creamy mashed potatoes.
- (Skirlie may also be used as a stuffing for any kind of game bird or poultry. It is also a very good accompaniment to rich meaty and gamy stews).
i made this to accompany a roast pheasant for our burns nite supper. i used pinhead oats, as i love the nutty flavor and texture. yum!
Tasty! I used butter instead of beef suet.
Great with steak mince and some "tatties".