I don't believe that this recipe is regional at all - I believe it can be had just about anywhere in Scotland and even the very north of England
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt the fat or heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- 2Add the onion and cook until soft and golden.
- 3Add the oatmeal and mix in well.
- 4Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 5Add the stock and allow it to be absorbed by the oatmeal.
- 6Season well and serve with light creamy mashed potatoes.
- 7(Skirlie may also be used as a stuffing for any kind of game bird or poultry. It is also a very good accompaniment to rich meaty and gamy stews).
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Skirlie (Scottish Oatmeal and Onions)
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 431.9
- Calories from Fat 208
- Total Fat 23.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 27.2 mg
- Sodium 49.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 12.0 g