Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Warm and delicious!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄3 red pepper, diced
- chicken broth
- chicken bouillon
- 16 ounces tomato puree
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into small pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 dried jalapenos, diced with no seeds
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into bitesize pieces
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 14 ounces corn
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lime
- Saute the onion, add garlic and red pepper once the onion is soft.
- Fill a large pot 3/4 full with chicken stock and add one to two cubes of chicken bullion (to taste). Add tomato puree, tortillas, bay leaves, cilantro, cumin and jalapenos; bring to a gentle boil.
- Add chicken pieces, let boil for 15-20 minutes. Remove the chicken and let cool, then shred.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Add the sugar and return the chicken to the pot. Stir in corn, including the liquid in the can.
- Add the butter, let melt. Leave pot on very low heat until ready to serve. Immediately before serving, squeeze the juice from half a lime into soup.
- Serve with fried corn tortilla strips, avocado, cilantro, green onion, sour cream, and/or jack cheese.