Recipe by skippycoolbreeze
It's pretty good for chili that doesn't have tomatoes. This is the chili that everyone at my house will eat...well, except the one who won't eat beans. I scoop a little out before I add the beans and cook it separately just for her. It will also work just as well without the onions if you have someone who won't eat those. If you use ground beef instead of deer, be sure to drain the meat after you brown it. I serve it with cheese and either saltine crackers or cornbread.
- 2 lbs ground deer meat
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 cup water or 1 cup broth
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chili beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onion in oil until tender.
- Add meat and cook until browned.
- Mix together kosher salt, black pepper, red pepper, chili powder, cumin, onion powder and cocoa.
- Stir spice mixture into browned meat.
- Add water; cook on medium heat abour 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato juice and chili beans.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer 1 1/2- 2 hours.