Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A Better Homes and Gardens Recipe (Oct. '77). An easy, VERY tasty, elegant rich soup. Sophisticated, not necessarily a kids favorite, but very good. Good as an appetizer soup. Cream based soup, but not very heavy. Good for a cold winter's day. One family member asks for this for Christmas every year. Can substitute 1 pint fresh clans or oysters for canned clams.
- 2 medium red onions
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 18 -24 ounces canned clams
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup light cream or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (white extra sharp cheddar is good)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- Cook onion & parsley in butter in butter til tender, not brown.
- Stir in soy sauce, thyme, salt, bay leaf, & hot pepper sauce.
- Add clams/oysters, cook and stir over low heat about 5 minutes (til edges curl).
- Stir in milk and cream.
- Add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Remove from heat; stir in wine.