Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This healthy and easy recipe (with wheat-free and vegan options) makes an incredibly moist cake. It's from "A The Skinnygirl Dish: Easy Recipes for Your Naturally Thin Life", by Bethenny Frankel. If you want a chocolate glaze, use melted butter and omit the peanut butter. If you want a plain peanut butter glaze, omit the cocoa. You could also use a round or square cake pan.
- 1 1⁄4 cups oat flour or 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (the darker and higher quality, the better)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Peanut Butter Glaze
- 1⁄2 cup raw sugar or 1⁄3 cup maple syrup or 1⁄3 cup agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons soy milk
- 2 tablespoons creamy 100% peanut butter (the natural kind, no sugar added)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F Put all of the ingredients in a bowl and stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into a loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake 40 to 50 minutes, rotating the pan about halfway through the baking time. When a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, it's done.
- Let the cake cool completely, then top with Peanut Butter Glaze. Slice & serve.
- For the glaze: Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix with a hand blender until the sugar crystal are dissolved. If they aren't dissolving, you can gently heat the mixture until they do. Heat on low on the stove or on 50 percent power in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds. Be careful with splattering when blending.
Pretty frickin terrible although I'm not a vegan so I have no idea what standards vegans are used to. Lacked in sweetness and flavour. The peanut butter glaze was decent though, hence the extra star. Would maybe use again for cupcakes.