Guiltless cheesy seasoned fries topped with veggie bacon, jalapenos and scallions served with a cool low-fat buttermilk ranch on the side. So when it's cheese fries you are craving, make them yourself and you'll save hundreds of calories and have better portion control preparing it yourself. A half order at Chili's is a whopping 1260 calories and 89 grams of fat, yikes!! This recipe is a serving for two, if you want to make this into a meal, why not serve a large fresh garden salad on the side, with more ranch dressing! You'll have those carbs you crave and feel completely satisfied. Leave the skin on for added fiber, and this recipe uses a full fat cheddar so that the cheese melts beautifully, Just use less of it and it will be great. if you prefer using reduced fat cheese, Cabot and Sargento are two brands that are good to use. I have tweaked the recipe, using veggie bacon. From skinny taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium yukon gold potatoes, washed, dried (skin on-can use russet potatoes or sweet potatoes!)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- coarse salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 2 slices veggie bacon, cooked, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup sharp shredded cheddar cheese (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons diced scallions
- 1 tablespoon sliced pickled jalapeno pepper (jarred on canned)
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°. Line baking sheet with foil for easy clean-up. Lightly coat with cooking spray.
- 2Cut each potato lengthwise into 1/4 inch thin slices; then cut each slice into 1/4 inch fries.
- 3In a large bowl, combine cut potatoes and oil; toss well. Add seasoning (paprika to salt and pepper). Toss to coat.
- 4Place potatoes in a single layer on a lightly greased large baking sheet. Bake uncovered for about 25 minutes or until tender crisp, turning once half way through (depending on thickness this may require more or less time).
- 5Remove from oven, place fries into two small oven safe dishes (or one large dish for sharing), top with cheddar cheese, sliced jalapenos, scallions and bacon bits and return to oven for about 2 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
- 6Serve with low fat buttermilk ranch dressing.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Skinny Texas Cheese Fries
Serving Size: 1 (189 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.5
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 25.2 mg
- Sodium 265.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 8.6 g