Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
I got this ages ago from Midwest Living magazine. Even my mushroom-hating husband and picky kids like it. It isn't quick, but it's worth it for healthy lasagna.
- 1⁄2 lb ground sirloin
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper, crushed
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 cup skim milk ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Cook the beef, mushrooms, onion, and garlic just til meat is brown; drain.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar, basil, oregano, fennel, crushed red pepper, and black pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 35 minutes to thicken, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, stir together the beaten egg whites, ricotta, and 1/4 c Parmesan cheese.
- Cook the lasagna noodles just til tender, drain, and rinse with cold water.
- Spray an 11x7x2 inch baking dish with nonstick spray coating.
- Arrange 3 of the lasagna noodles in the bottom (trim to fit).
- Spread with half of the ricotta mixture.
- Spoon half of the sauce over the top and sprinkle with half of the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layering noodles, cheese mixture, and sauce -- but not the mozzarella.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan over the top.
- Bake 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove and sprinkle with reserved mozzarella.
- Return to ove and bake 5-10 minutes more.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
My husband and I really enjoyed this lasagna! I especially like the taste of the fennel and the red pepper flakes. I didn't crush the fennel seeds, but they still added a nice flavor.